Making good progress with sculpture number 3.
This is the story so far from the back of the museum store, into the museum workshop and finally to my workshop at home.
It’s been described as the pineapple or the Sydney operahouse which is fairly accurate. I’ve been sanding a lot today and the elm is coming up nicely. I also made a “base” for it to stand on now that I have cut away a curve on its bottom. Pity about the lighting in my workshop – make everything look yellow. It will soon be coming indoors to be cleaned and painted. Oh yes there will be colour on it!
The wood is cracking a lot down the middle but I have decided to embrace this and make it a part of the final design. Woodfiller doesn’t look that good anyway. In the final picture you can see a rectangular patch which is covering up a chasm that opened up.
The only question now is what to call it.